Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Big Day

I met Cassandra last week. She was in a record store in town, listening to the Who. She was completely absorbed by the music, and I noticed she was quite beautiful. I happened to be looking for a particular CD by the Who, and when she opened her eyes and noticed me watching her, she smiled and took off the headphones. She asked if I'd like to listen, and I shook my head. "No," I said, "I just want to have a look at their albums." She moved aside, and I found the CD I was looking for.

"Tommy," she murmured, "have you seen the movie?"
"Of course!" We talked for a few more minutes, and I invited her to coffee. She said she couldn't stay out any longer -- that she had to get home. I asked if she'd like to keep in touch. "No thank you," she said, seeming regretful, and hurried out the door.

A few days later, I saw her again, at the record store. I smiled and waved. She smiled, but turned away. She was irresistibly mysterious. I thought I should give up. I went to listen to some Stones albums. A few minutes later, a felt a hand on my shoulder, and turned to see her. I removed the headphones, and she smiled at me. She had lovely brown eyes.

"Mind if I take a listen?" she asked. I handed her the headphones. I loved watching her listen to music. She bobbed her head slightly, and closed her eyes. After a little while, she looked at me and took off the headphones. "I have an hour or two. How 'bout a rain check?"

We walked to the local cafe, and I noticed she seemed to have a cough. I asked if she was feeling ill. She told me she was very ill, but not contagious.

When I told her I was a doctor, she looked suddenly hopeful. She asked what field, and I told her.

"Genetics?" she asked, "Have you ever heard Verdus?"

I couldn't believe it. I still can't. I was hesitant at first, but when she told me her story, I felt I could trust her. We were both hiding from the same organization. I decided to try and help her.

Tomorrow will be Day one of our work together.

No comments: